Your vision is precious. Protect it with great eye health habits. At Retina & Vitreous of Louisiana in Baton Rouge, LA, Drs. Couvillion, Noguchi, and Mason provide state of the art medical eye exams, surgeries and continuing care for long-term conditions. Preventive education is a big part of what they do.
Young and old alike
We all need to care for our eye health. Whether or not you wear eyeglasses or contacts to correct vision deficiencies, you should have a periodic medical eye examination. If you're 40 or older, you should see your eye doctor at the Baton Rouge, LA, clinic annually--earlier and more frequently if you have symptoms or underlying health conditions, such as diabetes. This recommendation comes from the American Academy of Ophthalmology.
Routine eye health maintenance
Your eye doctor recommends several easy-to-do habits that promote ocular health no matter your occupation, age or activity level. They include:
- Wearing protective eyewear for certain occupations and most sports
- Using sunglasses consistently (choose ones which block 99% of UVA/UVB radiation)
- Exercising to promote good circulation, a healthy weight, and overall good health
- Reducing your computer, tablet and phone screen time, particularly before bedtime
- Resting from close work, including the computer and crafts, such as embroidery (look away for 20 seconds every 20 minutes, and focus on a point 20 feet away)
- Using moisturizing eye drops if you live or work in a dry environment, take certain medications or are advancing in years
- Maintaining your contact lenses properly to avoid dry eye and bacterial infections
- Eating a balanced diet, including fish, leafy vegetables and citrus fruit
- Drinking at least eight glasses of water every day to stay well hydrated
- Following a smoking cessation program (cigarettes increase the incidence of macular degeneration, cataracts, and other vision loss problems)
- Getting adequate rest every night
We'll help you have and maintain your very best eye health for life. Contact Retina & Vitreous of Louisiana in Baton Rouge for an eye examination with Dr. John Couvillion, Dr. Barbara Noguchi or Dr. Robert Mason. They have convenient satellite locations in Zachary, Opelousas, New Roads, Hammond, Covington, and Alexandria. Phone the main number at (225) 768-8833.
Whether you are an existing patient or searching for a opthamologist in the Baton Rouge, LA area, we’re excited you are here. With the opthamology industry advancing, we recognize the importance of keeping our patients and visitors up to date with all of the new and exciting things taking place in our practice.
As we move forward with our blog, we hope to promote opthamology awareness as a vital part of your healthy lifestyle. Here you will find a variety of articles and topics including news, advancements in opthamology technology and treatment, practical health advice and updates from our specialists.
We hope you find our blog to be helpful, engaging and informational to ensure your best health. As always, feel free to contact us with any opthamology questions or concerns.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.